Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Week 15

Week 15. Having firmly moved into the second trimester, I can definitely feel the promised increase in energy (most days anyway). Today, we went in for our third doctor’s appointment. The doctor was out of the office so we just met with the nurse. I’ve gained 3 lbs. since the start of the pregnancy, the baby’s heart rate is a steady 150 beats, and I can take over the counter meds for sinus pressure and heart burn, all good news. We set the all important sonogram appointment to find out the sex of the baby on August 28th. That is if the baby cooperates. One of our friends told us they had no idea what their daughter was because she refused to show them. It’s getting harder and harder to resist buying baby clothes and I’m ready to finish the nursery so I really hope we’re able to find out on the 28th.

On the subject of names, we don’t have anything specific picked out yet. But we do have some favorites. Shelby and I each made a list of names we like and then we looked over the other person’s list. We each had veto power of the other person’s list, crossing out any names we hated or were strongly opposed to. So what we have left is a pretty healthy set of options. We’ve decided not to narrow it down any further or to choose a name until we know the sex of the baby. Also, I think we quickly realized not to share with people names we really liked. For some reason, when reactions or comments are negative or unenthusiastic, it changes my feeling about the name (even though I know it shouldn’t). I also feel a little like sharing it to soon takes the power out of the name, makes it less special, if that makes any sense. Once we do decide, we will let people know. Until then you can ask, but expect to get a name we’ve already discarded.

I have a few new favorite things I’ve discovered. First is a prenatal yoga video that is watch instantly on Netflix, Yoga Mama. I’ve always liked yoga and this video doesn’t push too hard and it was super relaxing. I’m glad I found it early on so I can use it through out the whole pregnancy. My second new favorite thing is a consignment store here in town called Children’s Exchange. I found maternity jeans and a top, plus when the time comes, super cute (and cheap) baby clothes. Shelby and I are all about using second hand stuff when it comes to clothes and toys since from everything we’ve seen the kid out grows them so quickly. Although some of the stuff still had tags on them. Last, I’m totally in love with the website, babycenter.com. At the recommendation of my friend, Darla, I signed up and every week I get an update about the development of baby. For example, this week the baby is the size of an apple and it can sense light. Even though its eyelids are fused together if I shined a flashlight on my stomach the baby would move away from the light. (I won’t be doing that though. It seems kind of mean. I don’t like it when someone turns the lights on when I’m asleep.) I love knowing what the baby is up to, especially since I can’t see or feel it yet. Although according to the website (and the nurse) I should be feeling this kid move any day now. I’ll let you know when I do!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! I'm so excited to meet this little peanut! I'm still hoping you have it while we are visiting during Christmas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did 'Buffy' or 'Joss' make the top ten? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand the name problem. I told people several names that we liked, including the ones I knew it would be, but wasnt specific about which ones I was leaning towards.

    Also, if you have an iPhone, there is a babycenter app! Its totally addictive.

    So happy for you and Shelby!

    ReplyDelete